It's Your World—Change It!
Introducing the First Series of Journeys for Girl Scout Daisies (Grades K-1)
Welcome to the Daisy Flower Garden
In this journey for kindergarteners and first-graders, a favorite pastime—gardening—meets the Girl Scout Law. The result is a storybook world of flowers and little girls who, together, do great things. Girl Scout Daisies will especially enjoy meeting the colorful, global characters who teach them to live the Girl Scout Law. The adult "how-to" guide offers Garden Story Time tips, key ideas for garden projects, and all the Girl Scout history and traditions needed for an adventure starring Amazing Daisy, a new flower friend for Girl Scout Daisies.
Have you heard the newest Girl Scout Daisy song?
The words and music to this new song can be found on page 75 of the How To Guide Girl Scout Daisies through "Welcome To The Daisy Flower Garden" journey. Volunteers are welcome to download the song for use with girls at meetings, camp or for any other private, non-commercial use. Download an MP3 of this song (ZIP)
Like all Girl Scout journeys, ''Welcome to the Daisy Flower Garden'' focuses on the leadership philosophy of girls discovering (themselves and their values), connecting (caring and teaming), and taking action (to improve their communities and the world). For Girl Scout Daisies, the best way to experience this leadership philosophy is by practicing the Girl Scout Law. So the journey's three awards, which tie directly to the garden theme, recognize girls' progress in applying the Law to their lives. Why not start out your year by giving the girls the background "Garden Patch" to display their three Girl Scout Daisy awards?
- The Watering Can Award represents girls being "responsible for what I say and do." Girls earn the award by caring for their mini-garden and beginning to understand how the Promise and Law play out in their daily lives.
- The Golden Honey Bee Award represents taking action through a gardening effort for others to make the world a better place. The award is named for Honey, the bee who is one of the Daisy Flower Garden characters.
- The Amazing Daisy Award represents knowing—and living—the Promise and Law, just like Amazing Daisy, the main character of the journey.
It's Your Planet—Love It!
Introducing the Second Series of Journeys for Girl Scout Brownies (Grades 2-3)
WOW! Wonders of Water
- The Brownie friends and Brownie ELF enjoy some wonder-filled adventures as they invite the real-life Brownies to explore the Wonders of Water.
- As they dive in, the Brownies realize they can create another big WOW as they try out new Ways of Working as a team.
- Brownies learn about the water cycle through a "Green Tea for the Blue Planet," and enjoy making their own rainbows as they explore the precious resource of water.
- Brownies pledge to LOVE water by protecting it, then team up to advocate for other people to SAVE water, too. As they SHARE what they have learned, they find they can inspire even more people to protect Earth's water.
- Along the way, Brownies experience what it is like to live in places where there is not enough water. They come to understand why the right to clean water is so important to everyone on Earth.
- Along the journey, the Brownies earn their LOVE Water, SAVE Water, and SHARE Water awards. As they celebrate their leadership accomplishments, they add the WOW! award to their vests, too!
The WOW! journey presents Brownies the opportunity to earn four awards. Girls begin with small, personal acts and then move out to purposeful teamwork that engages the larger community and influences its members in significant ways.
- LOVE Water - This first award encourages girls to become aware of the many ways they use and enjoy water. As they begin to understand the science of water and its importance in the world, they will also make a personal commitment to protect it.
- SAVE Water - The second award is earned when the Brownies team up and speak up as advocates to protect water or keep it clean in their community. Girls start thinking as a team about what they will do for water. By making an effort that moves beyond themselves, the girls begin to realize the impact that group efforts can produce.
- SHARE Water - Girls earn the third award as they create an even bigger ripple by sharing their efforts for water with others, educating and inspiring them to join in, and asking them to commit to a water promise.
- WOW! - Girls culminate their journey by earning the WOW! Award, a grand finale that symbolizes the powerful change they've brought to their community. They earn the award by showing proof of their SHARE Water efforts, and by describing how their efforts relate to the Girl Scout Law and how they have had an impact as leaders.
Introducing the Third Series of Journeys for Girl Scout Daisies (Grades K-1)
5 Flowers, 4 Stories, 3 Cheers for Animals!
Daisies learn just how much they can care for animals and for themselves—and just how good that makes them feel.
5 Flowers, 4 Stories, 3 Cheers for Animals! will also introduce Daisies to the stories of the flower friends: Daisy, Sunny, Tula, Gloria, Gerri, Rosie, Vi, Clover, Mari, Lupe and Zinni. Each flower friend corresponds to a value in the Girl Scout Law.
- Birdbath Award - Daisies learn to care for animals and for themselves
- Red Robin Award - Daisies use their new knowledge and creativity to teach others how to care for animals
- Tula Award - Daisies gain courage and confidence in teaching others about animal care