It's Your World—Change It!
Introducing the First Series of Journeys for Girl Scout Juniors (Grades 4-5)
Agent of Change
Power. In this journey, there’s a whole spiral of it waiting for Girl Scout Juniors. The journey is filled with ceremonies and circles, real-life heroines, and special new characters, including the fashion-savvy spider named Dez. Along the way, girls learn how their own power combines into team power and then moves out to become community power (kind of like how Dez weaves her web from the inside out). The journey’s centerpiece is a comic story of girl heroines who will inspire the Juniors as they take action to improve their own community.
This Junior journey is filled with fun and friendship. From its start to its closing celebration, the girls will move from a deeper understanding of themselves to exploring how powerful they are as a team, to realizing the added strength they gain by reaching out in the wider community to take action with its members. Agent of Change offers girls a chance to earn three awards and record progress throughout the journey in their own ''Award Tracker.''
- To earn The Power of One Award, girls will discover and share the powerful story of a forgotten woman or girl from around the world who mobilized others and made a difference, discover all the ways their own strengths and powers help them create change in the world, and discover what the Girl Scout Law and true "heroines" have in common
- To earn The Power of Team Award, girls connect with their Girl Scout crew to create a "super girl" story in which the characters take one small situation they care about and strive for long-lasting community change. Girls will also make a team decision and write their team hopes for a Take Action Project that reaches into a community network to solve a problem together with community members
- To earn The Power of Community Award, girls take action on their plan, reach out, join others and get them involved, and start something that snowballs into a change in their world. Girls join in their Girl Scout Junior circle to reflect on what they accomplished and celebrate it.
It's Your Planet—Love It!
Introducing the Second Series of Journeys for Girl Scout Juniors (Grades 4-5)
- Juniors build their skills as leaders who Energize, Investigate, and Innovate.
- They earn these three prestigious new leadership awards as they explore their own energy, the energy in their places and spaces (buildings), and the energy of getting from here to there (transportation)
- Juniors have a new comic story, "Vamos Ya!" to inspire their action (walking school bus anyone?)
- Dez, the fashionista spider, is also back to add some wit to the journey as she tries to figure out life "off the grid." "How does this carbon footprint thing work?" she asks. "Do I get eight?"
- From their own paper-making experiment to making beads from newspapers and magazines to forming a "perpetual human motion machine," Juniors will find that GET MOVING! is crammed full of energizing stuff to make and do!
This journey offers Juniors a chance to earn three Girl Scout leadership awards—Energize, Investigate, and Innovate. The girls can choose to earn one, two, or all three. If they earn all three, they'll see how the awards join together to create an energizing effect on their vest or sash.
To earn the Energize Award, girls:
- Make an Energy Pledge to reduce their energy use in one or more ways
- Try at least two other Energize activities suggested along the journey
- Check out how other people are tackling energy issues
To earn the Investigate Award, girls connect with their Girl Scout crew to:
- Learn about energy use in their buildings
- Work with their families to make an energy improvement at home
- Investigate energy use in a community building and suggest ways to make it more energy-efficient
To earn the Innovate Award, girls:
- Identify an energy issue in the community, research it, create a plan, and carry it out, all the while reaching out to others to join in, too
- Share the news, reflect on what they accomplished, and celebrate it
Introducing the Third Series of Journeys for Girl Scout Juniors (Grades 4-5)
Juniors learn just how many roles are open to them in the world and the possibilities those roles open for them.
Whether they want to fly a plane, lead a rock band or win a gold medal, aMUSE helps girls take center stage and try out more roles than they ever thought possible, with a little help from Dez and the Muses.
As they find out there is more to their story, girls may feel stronger, walk taller and gain confidence!
- Reach Out! Award - Juniors understand the many roles women and girls play in the world around them and the leadership skills used to play them
- Speak Out! Award - Juniors are aware of how stereotypes could hold themselves, and others back from trying on roles, and they Take Action to help stop stereotypes
- Try Out! Award - Juniors have the courage, and confidence to try out new roles